Peppered mackerel, potato and orange salad 28 September 2015
10 medium new potatoes, scrubbed
3 tbsp mayonnaise
3 tbsp crème fraiche
½ tbsp Dijon mustard
4 spring onions, chopped
3 medium oranges
3 heads red chicory
4 hot smoked peppered mackerel fillets, skinned
- Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water for 10 minutes or until a skewer slides easily into the centre. Drain well then plunge into cold water and drain again. Leave to cool to room temperature before cutting into thick slices.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, crème fraiche and mustard and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in half of the chopped spring onions then toss with the potatoes.
- Cut the top and bottom off of the oranges, then stand them on a cut side and slice away the rest of the peel. Hold the first orange in the palm of your hand and cut out each segment, leaving the pith behind like the pages of a book. Repeat with the other oranges, discarding the pith and any seeds.
- Cut the base off the chicory heads and separate them into leaves. Break the mackerel fillets into bite sized pieces.
- Arrange the potatoes, chicory, mackerel and orange segments on six plates, then scatter over the rest of the spring onions and drizzle with any leftover dressing.